Monday, June 1, 2009

Like the season

Autumn. A-U-T-U-M-N. That's my name. I happen to like it. I think it's unusual enough to be memorable.

So why do people consistently call me Amber? (or April, or August, or...take your pick, really)

This happens with alarming frequency. This morning, for instance, a woman I've known and worked with for the past four years called me Amber. On Friday, someone called me Auburn on my voicemail after he'd had the opportunity to hear my name spoken twice (on my boss's voicemail message and then mine). The week before, another person I've worked with for years called me April. Almost every day, someone gets my name wrong. At an all-day meeting a few weeks ago, one guy even called me Amber, April, AND August throughout the day. He finally asked me to spell my name to help him remember.

Seriously: this happens almost every single day. And I can't figure it out! WHY is it so difficult to remember a name like 'Autumn'? Anyone out there have a clue? Because it's driving me crazy.

2 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

I wish I knew why, but people I've known for years will ask me: "how's your daughter, Amber?" Or April. It's usually those two.

When I first heard the name Autumn I fell in love with it. I thought, 'what a cool name'. I didn't know to the extent others would have some sort of blockage about it. I really don't know what can be done at this point. Kind of aggravating - especially for you!

Osteo said...

I don't get it. I mean, "Autumn" sounds like "awesome." It's as easy as pie! Now I want rhubarb pie...