Thursday, December 20, 2007

Go see Juno. Immediately.

Occasionally, I get passes for free movie screenings at one of our local arthouse cinemas, and most of the time I jump all over that action, because...um, free! I'm easy that way. Usually, the movies are worth exactly what I paid to get in. Every once in a while, though, a movie is so fabulous that I have to tell everyone I know to see it. Immediately. Juno is that movie. And you should see it. Immediately.

If you're still mourning the cancellation of Arrested Development, loved Thank You For Smoking, or have a big old crush on Jennifer Garner...well, you've probably already seen this movie, and you know what I'm talking about. But if you still need convincing, it's as funny and sweet as any Judd Apatow film, the dialogue is sarcastic, witty, and hilarious, and the acting is fantastic - especially Ellen Page as the title character. The movie manages to completely reinvigorate the tired "teenage pregnancy" genre - it never gets even slightly preachy, the characters are fleshed out and believable, and the resolution is not 100% predictable or cheesy. The sweetness is earned, too, unlike your standard romcom. Nothing about the movie is obvious or forced or clichéd.

Ok, I don't want to do the movie a disservice by trying to describe it more, but trust me: if you're a fan of sharp writing and great acting, you're going to want to see this movie.

No comments: