Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Bonnarooooooo!

Oh, Bonnaroo. Why must you be so damn expensive? I desperately want to go this year. Desperately. There was a rumor for a few months that Led Zeppelin would headline the fest, but aside from Robert Plant (who's touring with Alison Kraus at the moment), the closest we'll get to Zep is the all-female tribute band Lez Zeppelin. Which is a great name, yes, but I want the real thing, dammit!

The rest of the lineup is spectacular. Acts I'd definitely want to see: Pearl Jam, Metallica, The Allman Brothers Band, B.B. King, Death Cab for Cutie, Iron & Wine, Aimee Mann, and Ben Folds. Bands I've heard great things about that I'd want to check out: the Raconteurs, Sigur Ros, Rilo Kiley, My Morning Jacket, Levon Helm & The Ramble on the Road, Susan Tedeschi, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Drive-by Truckers, Tegan & Sara, Vampire Weekend, and Minus the Bear. Ooh, and I can't forget the comedians! The four I know are David Cross, Janeane Garofalo, Zach Galifianakis, and Mike Birbiglia. All hilarious in very different ways.

So between a 10-hour drive to Manchester, TN, food, gas, and tickets, I'm looking at a $400-$500 trip. Worth it? I'm thinking yes, just for the chance to see this lineup. And Robert Plant, because who knows if Led Zeppelin is actually going to tour next year (or ever) as rumored? Ooh, and it'll be fun to camp in rural Tennessee for 3 or 4 days, even if it is in the sweltering heat of June. I'm actively trying to recruit a couple people for a road trip. Fingers crossed!

No comments: