Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday music recommendation #5

I know I skipped a week -- sorry! Last week was a bit stressful, but this week has been slightly better, so I'm ready to highlight yet another band you may not have heard of yet. Meet My Morning Jacket.

I only found their music two weeks ago, but so far, I'm really excited about it. Right now, I'm partial to 2005's Z, but their newest album, Evil Urges (released June 10th) is wonderful, too. To me, they're kind of a hybrid of Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, and Wilco, which is interesting since those three bands' sounds differ so much. MMJ's music dabbles in all kinds of genres - rock, funk, pop, psychedelic, and country, just to name a few - and it's no wonder they're garnering so much critical acclaim. They're seriously talented guys. I'd love to see them live.

Their star is rising right now, with recent performances on Conan, Dave, and Saturday Night Live as well as sets at SXSW, Coachella, and Bonnaroo (where they played a four-hour set in the rain that has earned rave reviews from those who attended). From what I hear, they put on an amazing, balls-out, energetic live show. Apparently, they're even performing this New Year's Eve in Madison Square Garden.

Here are some of my favorite songs so far:

"Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2" (performed in the back of a London taxi as part of the series Black Cab Sessions. The omnichord is freaking cool.)


"What a Wonderful Man"


"Evil Urges"


"Wordless Chorus"


"Dondante"


"Aluminum Park"

No comments: