Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday music recommendation #6

This Friday: The Decemberists. A friend put one of their songs, "The Engine Driver," on a mix CD for me ages ago, and despite really liking it, I didn't check out any of their other music for over a year. Shame on me! I finally bought The Crane Wife last year and love it, but I still haven't downloaded any of their other 3 albums. Shame on me again!

The Decemberists' music has a narrative quality - they like to tell stories, often weird ones, often using words that'll make you reach for your dictionary. They're multi-instrumentalists, too, so you'll find accordion, string bass, organ, piano, and melodica in addition to guitar, bass guitar, and drums. I don't really know how to describe their sound, so I think you should just listen for yourselves:

"When the War Came"

"The Perfect Crime #2"


"The Engine Driver"


"The Crane Wife 3"

1 comment:

Gail Dixon said...

I really like them! Look forward to more of your recommendations. You've mentioned them before, but I was too lazy to look them up. Guess I need to be spoonfed with youtubes.