Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday music recommendation: '90s nostalgia edition, Pt. 1

Almost everyone listening to the radio around 1996 heard the song "Novocaine for the Soul" by the Eels. It was pretty ubiquitous, if I remember correctly, and I remember liking it. Not enough to buy their CD (I was but a poor 14-year-old back then), but well enough to listen to it any time it came on the radio. Now, 12 years later, having downloaded their greatest hits (Meet the Eels: Essential Eels, Vol. 1 (1996-2006)) in a fit of nostalgia, I realize just what I've been missing all these years. The Eels are awesome, and I can't believe it took me this long to realize that. Now I'm listening to them all the time. They're funny, inventive, and irreverent, and I love every weird second of it. This is essential listening, people! Hop on the nostalgia train!

"Novocaine for the Soul"


"Mr. E's Beautiful Blues"

"Love of the Loveless"


"Your Lucky Day in Hell"


"Last Stop: This Town"


"Souljacker Part 1"


"Trouble With Dreams"

No comments: