Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday music recommendation #11

It's been a while since I've posted one of these! I guess I got a little bogged down in more serious posting, but I'm ready to start the music series up again. I've been listening to a ton of new music in the last couple of months, so I have a lot to recommend. Let's start with Santogold.

Anyone who knows my taste in music might be a little surprised that I like an artist with such pronounced '80s/new wave and dance/electronica influences, but there's something entirely infectious about Santogold's music. It's kind of punk, kind of pop, kind of funk, and I can't seem to stop listening to it. Sometimes, her voice reminds me of Gwen Stefani's; other times, she sounds a little like Debbie Harry. But you really can't pigeonhole her -- she's a unique voice right now. Her first album just came out last year, so I'm looking forward to what should be an interesting career.

"Lights Out"


"L.E.S. Artistes"


"You'll Find a Way"

1 comment:

Gail Dixon said...

To me her voice sounds like a blend of Debbie Harry and Gwen Stefani.

After watching that first vid, I found myself wishing for clothing that matched my dining room wallpaper. That effect is so cool.