Friday, January 9, 2009

Sigourney Weaver takes on Prop 8

I love Sigourney Weaver's take on Prop 8 (via AfterElton).

"I think it’s unconstitutional to even have a referendum like that! People labor under this idea that homosexuality is a “lifestyle”. And the founding fathers were much too wise to try to legislate who loves whom. Homosexuality has been part of our history for thousands of years, and everyone has an equal right to pursue happiness in this country. It’s right there in black and white, and there are no exceptions. To even put this on the referendum, I can’t believe that that’s legal. To me, it’s a human rights issue.

"Gay marriage...is a very stabilizing force in society for those who want it — not everyone wants it. But the people who do, give them what they want. It seems insane to me to say to people who want it, you can’t have this nurturing thing. It’s the cruelest thing. People who voted for it really didn’t understand what they were voting for. I really think it’s misinformation."

Sigourney is starring in an upcoming Lifetime movie called Prayers for Bobby, which airs later this month.

No comments: