Friday, January 23, 2009

Getting it right

Yesterday was the 36th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision. As a woman, I've spent the past 8 years feeling a bit apprehensive in light of the previous administration's attempts to undermine or outright abolish women's rights, so it's with no small measure of relief that I read President Obama's words on the subject. I think the women of this nation can breathe a collective sigh of relief now. For the first time in my life, I feel supported and valued by my country's leadership; it's an indescribably wonderful feeling.

Obama's agenda with regard to women is not only about reproductive choice. His administration has compiled a comprehensive set of goals whose purpose is to bolster women's rights in almost every imaginable way. I hope that most of these initiatives see the light of day during his time in office. Particularly, I'd like to see sex education reinstated in schools that teach abstinence only. I'd also love to see pay inequity addressed and remedied once and for all (I can dream!). And I'm so happy that President Obama is a proponent of ethical stem cell research (see below). I think that our country is capable of making some huge strides under his administration, some that are long overdue, and I pray that he gets the opportunity to set them in motion, at the very least.

Supporting Stem Cell Research: President Obama and Vice President Biden believe that we owe it to the American public to explore the potential of stem cells to treat the millions of people suffering from debilitating and life-threatening diseases. Obama is a co-sponsor of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2007, which will allow research of human embryonic stem cells derived from embryos donated (with consent) from in vitro fertilization clinics. These embryos must be deemed in excess and created based solely for the purpose of fertility treatment.

In short, I'm more excited about this presidency than any in my lifetime. In fact, I'm downright giddy!

No comments: