Friday, December 28, 2007

A good week

I bought flowers the other day. They're irises - my favorite kind. My mood brightens whenever I see them, and even though they don't smell like much, I can't resist pressing my nose to the cool blossoms every time I pass by.

Did you know that the word "iris" is derived from the Greek word for "rainbow"? And that a fleur-de-lis is a stylized iris? Oh, how I love Wikipedia:

"The fleur-de-lis, a stylized iris, descends from the white iris which is native to Florence, Italy and which grew even in its city walls. This white iris, displayed against a red background, became the symbol of Florence until the Medici family, to signal a change in political power, reversed the colors, making the white one red and setting in motion a centuries-long breeding program to hybridize a red iris. Catherine de Medici carried this symbol of Florence to Paris when she married the king of France, where this most famous of irises acquired its moniker, fleur-de-lis."

Other things that have made me happy this week, in no particular order:

-The movie Enchanted
-Guinness pub glasses
-Family (pets included!)
-Dinner and wine with a dear friend
-Pushing Daisies, still
-The cutest dog in the universe
-Slapsgiving, still
-Double-walled Bodum glasses
-Good parking spots
-The song "Die Alone" by Ingrid Michaelson
-Successful allergy-friendly baking
-Freaks and Geeks and Kitchen Confidential
-My viola
-The absence of soul-sucking work

I am truly fortunate.

No comments: